Friday, August 7, 2009

If I am looking for a temporary job as a paralegal where would be the best place to look for a position?

How much experience do you have experience as a paralegal? The best bet is to register with your local legal recruiters and temp agencies. You can try to approach individual firms if you want, but unless you know someone at the firm, the odds of landing a temp assignment through a cold call or mailed resume are fairly slim in my estimation. Register with more than one legal employment agency if you must; just make sure that they know it. Be honest with the recruiters in terms of your skills, your availability and the types of work you want. I think this is your best bet because it leaves you in control somewhat. You can decide which assignments to take, or not take. Paralegal positions are especially suited for temp work because of the nature of litigation. I manage a law firm and we only need a paralegal about 1/4 of the year when litigation requires it. Many firms like mine experience heavy periods of litigation for a few months, followed by six to nine months or our normal non-litigation workload. (We try hard to keep our clients from being sued). I never advertise for a temp position myself - I always use a recruiter. That way if I am unhappy with the individual I have the agency send me someone else. It is a bit more expensive using an agency but the extra cost is worth it. Of course there are non litigation opportunities out there, but many of them are more clerical in nature, and are often shorter assignments.





Good luck!
If I am looking for a temporary job as a paralegal where would be the best place to look for a position?
It depends on what State you live in. I have resources on the West coast but for all I know, you live in Chicago. There are Kelly services all over, they charge attorneys some big bucks, however you (the secretary) are still pd a good wage.


Here is an example:


www.legalpersonnelinc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment